Title: Senior Full Stack Developer / Technical Lead
Job ID: 001
Urban Intelligence is looking for an experienced SENIOR FULL STACK DEVELOPER who will improve and build on an advanced MVP that is currently used by high profile business customers in the property sector, as well as establish software engineering best practices in preparation for the next exciting phase of the company’s growth.
You will work closely with the company’s highly-talented and close-knit team, be at the forefront of an industry-wide digital revolution, and use your technical skills to help solve the Housing Crisis. You will be responsible for our Software-as-a-Service platform’s architecture and development, together with the team’s Junior Developer, and have access to other consultant and outsourced tech support as needed. The role will involve problem-solving on all levels, from setting a strategic technical direction to writing code.
If you have experience taking an advanced MVP and successfully scaling it to the next level, if you are excited to roll up your sleeves and take ownership of the product and make it amazing, and if you are passionate about solving the Housing Crisis through better use of data, this job is for you.
Who are we?
We are a small, young and energetic team with expertise in urban planning , currently based in Clerkenwell, London, and to be based in Cardiff starting in January 2018. For the past 3 years, we’ve been working on our mission to digitise the planning system and to create the infrastructure for data-driven urban development. We’ve done a fair amount of learning during this time, in terms of business priorities, management, our market and customers, and the potential for our product(s). We have a clear idea for our next stage of growth, and we are looking for the right Senior Developer to catapult us into our successful future.
We are building a data-driven planning potential analysis platform by aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. Our first product, Howard, is a reference tool for built environment professionals that has planning policy documents aggregated in one central database in a machine-readable format and geocoded on a map on a citywide scale, which has never been done before. We currently have 20+ business customers and >200 professional users.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe’s first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK’s mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / ‘Future of Planning’ movement for our work.
Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that care deeply about cities, society and the environment. We have lunch together most days, frequently joined by our friends in other great startups that share our state-of-the-art coworking space, and discuss everything from business to politics and history. We go out for a pint after work every now and then (read: most Fridays) and hope you will feel at home with us, too.
Who are you?
You are a full-stack developer with 4+ years of commercial Back-End experience and systems architecture. You have experience developing on top of Front-End frameworks, RESTful APIs and cloud platforms.
More specifically, you must have a solid grasp of:
- Node.js and MongoDB and/or Elasticsearch
- Proven expert knowledge and skills in software engineering and industry best practice (e.g. clean code, continuous integration, continuous delivery, TDD and BDD)
- Outstanding communication skills that deliver effectively to both tech and non-tech team members
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience with geospatial data and server integration (GeoServer)
- Experience taking an advanced MVP and successfully and flexibly scaling it to adapt to business demands
- Commercial savviness and experience to deeply engage with our business questions and advise on technical solutions
- Experience building and leading a technical team and establishing best practice processes
- Experience working with Big Data and machine learning
- Experience with .NET Umbraco CMS (MVP legacy, we are moving away from .NET)
- An interest in property, economics, cities, society and/or the environment
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our small team and design and develop our core technology. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK’s opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is yet to embrace a digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting technical challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package: salary up to £48,000 + equity (commensurate with experience)
- Work with other innovators at our new office at Tramshed TECH (5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station)
- Access to our wide network of investors and advisors
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com (including the Job ID in the subject). In your Cover Letter, please describe in detail any of your relevant experiences and projects, so we know clearly that you are the one we are looking for based on the above. The deadline for applications is Midnight of Wednesday, 10th January 2018.
- Initial 15-minute Skype conversation
- A short coding exercise
- An in-person interview with the Co-Founders and our current tech resources
- Meet the team
We look forward to seeing your application!
Strictly no agencies!