Title: Senior Planner / Planning Lead
Job ID: 003
A unique, energetic startup within the planning world, Urban Intelligence is a technology business that seeks to transform the planning system from being document-based to data-based. We are currently looking for an exceptional Senior Planner / Planning Lead with over 5 years of experience of working directly or indirectly with development plans to help us to continue to deliver industry-wide innovation. A first-of-a-kind digital solution, our product, Howard, is currently used by London-based planners (public and private), architects and developers in their day-to-day work. But this is just the beginning!
What will you be doing?
Working both independently and with our multidisciplinary team, you will be responsible for building on the Howard platform, our Planning Policy Information Service. Your tasks as our Senior Planner / Planning Lead will include:
- Managing the data collection and monitoring of Howard, supervising other members on the Planning Team
- Using your experience to collect and develop planning-related intelligence and insights
- Developing ideas and methodologies in relation to automation, data science and analysis grounded in planning practice and workflow
- Working closely with the Technical Team to bridge the gap in expertise and shape product development according to user feedback
- Participating in Urban Intelligence’s thought-leadership and advocacy in digital planning by speaking at events, writing blog articles and reports
- Building relationships with local planning authorities and private sector planners
Ideally, you will demonstrate your potential to develop a core specialism (planning policy, data science, or business development) and to progress to a key position of leadership within the business as we grow.
Who are you?
The following attributes are essential:
- 5+ years of experience working directly or indirectly with development plans in England or Wales
- Clear understanding of the planning process from both public and private perspectives
- A self-starter, keen to make an impact
- Think technology has a big part to play in the future of planning
It would also be nice if you have:
- Commercial savviness
- GIS skills
- An interest in planning-related technologies
- Experience of working in both the public and private sector
- Track record of innovation and creativity
- Strong professional network within planning / property sector
- Strong academic history
Who are we?
We are a small, young and energetic team with a range of experience in planning and other fields. We started in Clerkenwell, London, but will be relocating our HQ to Cardiff from January 2018. For the past 3+ years we have been pioneering the Future of Planning, working with the likes of Ordnance Survey, DCLG and the Future Cities Catapult.
We are building a data-driven planning potential analysis platform by aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. Our first product, Howard, is a reference tool for built environment professionals that has planning policy documents aggregated in one central database in a machine-readable format and geocoded on a map on a citywide scale, which has never been done before. We currently have 20+ business customers and >200 professional users.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe’s first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK’s mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / ‘Future of Planning’ movement for our work.
Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that care deeply about cities, society and the environment. We have lunch together most days, frequently joined by our friends in other great startups that share our state-of-the-art coworking space, and discuss everything from business to politics and history. We go out for a pint after work every now and then (read: most Fridays) and hope you will feel at home with us, too.
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our small team and have a profound influence on our product. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK’s opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is yet to embrace a digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package: salary up to £40,000 + equity (commensurate with experience)
- Work with other innovators at our new office at Tramshed TECH (5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station)
- The ability to work with individuals and organisations that are at the forefront of digital planning
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com (with the Job ID in the subject) by the extended deadline which is 6pm on Friday 12th January 2018.
- 15 minute telephone interview
- An in-person interview with the Co-Founders