Title: Graduate Planner / Planner
Job ID: 004
A unique, energetic startup within the planning world, Urban Intelligence is a technology business that seeks to transform the planning system from being document-based to data-based. We are currently looking for an exceptional Graduate Planner / Planner with at least a year of industry experience of working directly or indirectly with development plans to help us to continue to deliver industry-wide innovation. A first-of-a-kind digital solution, our product, Howard, is currently used by London-based planners (public and private), architects and developers in their day-to-day work. But this is just the beginning!
What will you be doing?
Working both independently and with our multidisciplinary team, you will be responsible for building on the Howard platform, our Planning Policy Information Service. Your tasks as our Graduate Planner / Planner will include:
- Collecting and monitoring planning policy information for designated UK regions, assisting the Senior Planner / Planning Lead
- Quality assurance for the planning policy data and information on Howard
- Working with users to understand how our products and services can be improved
- Contributing your knowledge and experience to product development discussions
- Assisting the Senior Planner / Planning Lead in capturing planning-related intelligence and insights from our planning policy data
- Participating in Urban Intelligence’s thought-leadership and advocacy in digital planning by writing blog articles and reports
- Liaise with organisations for data requests and other matters
- Developing new skills in a chosen pathway such as planning, data science or business development
As a Graduate Planner / Planner at Urban Intelligence, you will gain a bird’s-eye view of the planning system, developing a profound understanding of the plan-making and development management processes, the different players in the industry and how they impact urban development. Your work will ensure that our users are accessing the best planning policy information available in the market.
Who are you?
The following attributes are essential:
- Undergraduate degree in City and Regional Planning or other related disciplines, with a strong academic track record
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- At least 1 year of experience working directly or indirectly with development plans in England or Wales
- Familiarity with the UK planning system and suite of planning policy documents
- A self-starter, keen to make an impact
- Think technology has a big part to play in the future of planning
It would also be nice if you have:
- GIS skills
- Quantitative / data analysis skills
- An interest in planning-related technologies
- Experience of working in both the public and private sector
- Track record of innovation and creativity
Who are we?
We are a small, young and energetic team with a range of experience in planning and other fields. We started in Clerkenwell, London, but will be relocating our HQ to Cardiff from January 2018. For the past 3+ years we have been pioneering the Future of Planning, working with the likes of Ordnance Survey, DCLG and the Future Cities Catapult.
We are building a data-driven planning potential analysis platform by aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. Our first product, Howard, is a reference tool for built environment professionals that has planning policy documents aggregated in one central database in a machine-readable format and geocoded on a map on a citywide scale, which has never been done before. We currently have 20+ business customers and >200 professional users.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe’s first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK’s mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / ‘Future of Planning’ movement for our work.
Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that care deeply about cities, society and the environment. We have lunch together most days, frequently joined by our friends in other great startups that share our state-of-the-art coworking space, and discuss everything from business to politics and history. We go out for a pint after work every now and then (read: most Fridays) and hope you will feel at home with us, too.
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our small team and have a profound influence on our product. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK’s opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is yet to embrace a digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package: salary up to £25,000 + equity (commensurate with experience)
- Work with other innovators at our new office at Tramshed TECH (5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station)
- The ability to work with individuals and organisations that are at the forefront of digital planning
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com (with the Job ID in the subject) by the extended deadline which is 6pm on Friday 12th January 2018.
- 15 minute telephone interview
- An in-person interview with the Co-Founders