Title: Data Scientist
Job ID: 005
A unique, energetic startup within the planning world, Urban Intelligence is a technology business that seeks to transform the planning system from being document-based to data-based. We are currently looking for an exceptional Data Scientist with at least a year of industry experience working with a variety of data. We are developing a first-of-a-kind product for urban planning that makes use of a variety of public and private sector data including text, geographic and market/economic data.
What will you be doing?
As our Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to experiment with a variety of datasets to help us to analyse and develop insights for practical use in ‘Howard’, our tool that is currently used by a variety of professionals in the property industry including planners, architects, property developers. Your tasks will include:
- Establishing a clear understanding of planning data, information and methods by working closely with members of our multidisciplinary team
- Independently undertaking a variety of complex analyses on legislation, policy, economic, demographic and geographical data sets aggregated on Howard and how they correlate, applying cutting-edge data science
- Contributing to the development of product features by generating insights from data analysis
- Contributing to the long-term product roadmap
- Participating in Urban Intelligence’s thought-leadership and advocacy in digital planning by writing blog articles and reports
As a Data Scientist at Urban Intelligence, you will gain skills, knowledge and experience working with a multidisciplinary team and have the opportunity to put your training in data science to meaningful, practical use. As our chief experimenter, you will be free to explore the complex relationships that exist among the data we hold; you will also be expected to think independently and suggest to us what other data would be interesting to look at in conjunction! Your work will empower our users to work with the best planning insights available in the market.
Who are you?
The following attributes are essential:
- Post-graduate degree (master’s or PhD) in statistics, data science and analytics, informatics, artificial intelligence or other related disciplines, with a strong academic track record
- Geographic Information System (GIS) skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- At least 1 year of experience working with a variety of data sets
- Passionate about the latest trends in technology, data science and artificial intelligence
- A self-starter, keen to make an impact
It would also be nice if you have:
- Experience of working with public sector sourced urban data
- An interest in property, economics, cities, society and/or the environment
Who are we?
We are a small, young and energetic team with a range of experience in planning and other fields. We started in Clerkenwell, London, but will be relocating our HQ to Cardiff from January 2018. For the past 3+ years we have been pioneering the ‘Future of Planning’, working with the likes of Ordnance Survey, the Department for Communities and Local Government and the Future Cities Catapult.
We are building a data-driven planning potential analysis platform by aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. Our first product, Howard, is a reference tool for built environment professionals that has planning policy documents aggregated in one central database in a machine-readable format and geocoded on a map on a citywide scale, which has never been done before. We currently have 20+ business customers and >200 professional users.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe’s first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK’s mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / ‘Future of Planning’ movement for our work.
Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that care deeply about cities, society and the environment. We have lunch together most days, frequently joined by our friends in other great startups that share our state-of-the-art coworking space, and discuss everything from business to politics and history. We go out for a pint after work every now and then (read: most Fridays) and hope you will feel at home with us, too.
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our small team and have a profound influence on our product. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK’s opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is yet to embrace a digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package: salary up to £36,000 + equity (commensurate with experience)
- Work with other innovators at our new office at Tramshed TECH (5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station)
- The ability to work with individuals and organisations that are at the forefront of digital planning
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com (with the JOB ID in the subject).
- 15 minute telephone interview
- An in-person interview with the Co-Founders
Strictly no agencies!