Title: Commercial Lead
Location: Cardiff or London
Job ID: 006
The world is urbanising at a rapid rate. At Urban Intelligence, we are passionate about using data and technology to help ensure that our towns and cities grow in the best way possible. Think SimCity, but for the real world!
Our first step in our mission is to shift town planning from its 1940s document-based origins to being entirely data-driven. We are currently looking for a confident, driven and experienced Commercial Lead to help us to convert the industry into a 21st century mentality. A first-of-a-kind digital solution, our SaaS product, ‘Howard’ is currently used by London-based planners (public and private), architects and developers in their day-to-day work. But this is just the beginning!
What will you be doing?
You will help us to build on an existing pipeline of customers, suppliers and partners, as well as sourcing new additions. You will take ownership of these relationships and take responsibility for fostering new ones via a range of outbound sales methods including telephone, LinkedIn, industry events, etc. You will also take responsibility for developing and negotiating contracts for a range of organisations in both the public and the private sector. You will develop a deep understanding of the value chain of our data and the industries that do/could make use of it.
You will have key management responsibilities, including supporting other sales staff that you will help us to recruit. You will regularly report your own wins and losses and help to us to understand how we can do more to meet our customers’ needs. You will also build forecasts and help us monitor other sales and marketing related KPIs. You will be an excellent communicator, able to convey customer/partner feedback to the team internally and to act as the face of the business at a wide range of industry events.
Who are you?
You are a tenacious, ambitious closer and salesperson with demonstrable success in partnerships and sales (to customers of all sizes). You are well organised, action-oriented, and well-versed in any of: the planning industry, the property industry, or enterprise software. You leverage your relationships in industry to discover new business opportunities, evaluate new technology requirements, form meaningful partnerships, manage business relationships, and collaborate with internal and external partners. You are on-the-ball with the latest software sales strategies and trends, you always keep your skills up to date, and you understand that the property industry is changing, embracing technology.
You love solving difficult problems and landing monster deals. You’re excited by huge opportunities, and you have a passion for cities, property, people, data, and technology.
The following attributes are essential:
- An undergraduate degree in any subject (bonus if property related)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A minimum of 4+ years experience owning outbound sales and business development tasks (or similar) and achieving demonstrable results
- Abundant experience in customer service with an understanding of buying decision drivers
- Confident picking up the phone to strangers and approaching people at networking events
- A self-starter, keen to make an impact
- Cardiff or London-based and willing to travel around the UK as required
(Note: In either location, you will be expected to arrange and attend meetings around the UK for at least 2 days per week)
It would also be nice if you have:
- 10+ years working in property, planning or enterprise recruitment and/or sales.
- A history of setting and beating revenue goals
- Property technology experience would be a bonus
Who are we?
We are a small, young and energetic team with a range of experience in planning and other fields. We started in Clerkenwell, London, but will be relocating our HQ to Cardiff from January 2018. For the past 3+ years we have been pioneering the Future of Planning, working with the likes of Ordnance Survey, DCLG and the Future Cities Catapult.
We are building a data-driven planning potential analysis platform by aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. Our first product, Howard, is a reference tool for built environment professionals that has planning policy documents aggregated in one central database in a machine-readable format and geocoded on a map on a citywide scale, which has never been done before. We currently have 20+ business customers and >200 professional users.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe’s first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK’s mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / ‘Future of Planning’ movement for our work.
Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that care deeply about cities, society and the environment. We have lunch together most days, frequently joined by our friends in other great startups that share our state-of-the-art coworking space, and discuss everything from business to politics and history. We go out for a pint after work every now and then (read: most Fridays) and hope you will feel at home with us, too.
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our small team and have a profound influence on our business development. You will join the team at an ideal time: we’re early enough for you to make your mark, but we’re also established enough to know what we’re doing!
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive salary + equity (commensurate with experience), and the possibility to earn additional commission-based pay.
- You will work in our state-of-the-art office spaces, either at the Urban Innovation Centre in Clerkenwell, London or at Tramshed Tech in Cardiff.
- The ability to work with individuals and organisations that are at the forefront of digital planning
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com (with the JOB ID in the subject).
- 15 minute telephone with the CEO
- An in-person interview with both of the Co-Founders
- A team social event either in Cardiff or London